Connect with Wired and Now Wireless Assets
Connect and communicate with wireless assets. The Axeda Platform now supports a broad range of wireless assets―from edge devices to mobile or occasionally connected intelligent products.
- Axeda Wireless Protocol (AWP) and AWP Toolkit - The Axeda Wireless Protocol (AWP) provides rich communication with the Axeda Platform, while compacting bytes-over-the-air to reduce wireless costs. Product manufacturers can use the AWP Toolkit to implement support for AWP communications (including file transfers) in their embedded devices.
- Axeda Codecs - Deployed wireless assets or assets that cannot be modified can communicate with the Axeda Platform using Axeda Codecs―without making any changes in the field. Axeda Codecs help adapt the Axeda Platform to communicate with the preferred protocol.
- Least-cost communication routing - With least-cost communication routing—based on priority and communication cost—the Axeda Platform can automatically switch between communication methods to deliver data at the lowest cost, or to send critical messages even if a low-cost method is not available.
Build and Extend M2M Applications Quickly and Easily
Create complex rules without any programming. A powerful yet intuitive rules engine and scripting capabilities make it easy to create business logic to orchestrate business processes.
- Business rules - Without programming, you can create expression rules to execute actions based on data collected from assets.
- State machines - State machines make it easy to create rule sets that execute based on asset state. For example, different rule sets can be run on a machine depending on the state it is in―normal operational mode or maintenance mode. Similarly “door open” condition for a container could invoke different rules based on location. If the container is in a distribution center, “door open” is not a problem, but if the container is on the road, an alarm would be generated.
- Distributed threshold rules -Threshold rules execute actions on the asset and run on edge devices enabled with the Axeda Wireless Protocol (AWP) Toolkit, providing immediate action-reaction at the edge, and eliminating the need to send data over the network for rule evaluation.
- Rule timers - Create a timer to execute rules on a schedule. A powerful and flexible scheduler lets you trigger activities based on customized schedules.
- Custom Objects - Leverage the full power of the Axeda® SDK by scripting business logic with Axeda’s scripting engine. Full access to platform capabilities can be orchestrated and “mashed-up” with other cloud-based services or business systems.
Model physical assets and create asset associations. Simplify programming by building a model of the data and alarm associated with a model.
- Physical asset modeling - Map data to names and types that match your application. For example, a transport container might have a location, represented by latitude/longitude coordinates, door open as a true/false Boolean, and temperature and humidity as numbers.
- Asset associations - Create associations between assets to allow information to flow from one to the other. For example, you can model a complex system as an asset that receives data items and alarms from other associated assets that are sub-systems. Another use case is an asset like a truck that can be associated with a tracking device and data collected by the tracker can be forwarded and stored with the truck information in the Axeda Platform.
Accelerate application development and integrate with enterprise systems. Take advantage of simplified integration with messaging middleware, external systems, Web Services, and custom applications to handle everything from publishing messages to accelerating application development to hosting custom applications.
- Event Subscription Service (ESS) - The Axeda Platform uses messaging queuing to publish messages and relevant data about any event that occurs in the Axeda Platform. Message consumers can subscribe to receive these messages and build custom workflows.
- Messaging integration -The Axeda Platform allows users to publish messages based on conditions defined in expression rules to achieve point-to-point messaging with an external business system.
- Next-generation Web Services - The Axeda Platform has modern Web Services with SOAP and RESTful interfaces to simplify and accelerate the creation of interactive Web applications.
- Custom applications - Custom Flash applications can be hosted directly at the Axeda On-Demand Center by uploading .SWF files to the Axeda Platform. With application hosting, you can host your application at our On-Demand Center so that you don’t have to host your application separately.
Customize your solution to match your business requirements. Extend the Axeda Platform to match your requirements without creating customizations that would make migrations challenging.
- Extending objects - You can extend the Axeda Platform data model by adding virtual columns to existing tables or adding new virtual tables. Extended objects enable organizations to use the Axeda Platform data model in an upgrade-friendly way without customizations to existing database tables and Web service/SDK interfaces.
Manage Your Alarms, Users, and Assets More Easily
Manage alarms more efficiently. Build a workflow around alarm resolution, integrate alarms in rules and scripting, and associate alarms with location and data.
- Alarm engine with full lifecycle - Alarms have multiple states including Started, Acknowledged, Escalated, Suppressed, and Closed. These states let organizations efficiently build a workflow around alarm resolution.
- Full integration of alarms in rules and scripting - Rules can be used to create new alarms and change alarm state and severity. Custom Objects can be executed to take further action, such as opening trouble tickets, consulting with knowledge bases, and more.
- Alarms associated with location and data - Using geofences and rules, alarms can be created based on an asset location being inside, outside, or near another location.
Simplify user management. Manage user groups, users, and asset groups independently, and automatically assign assets to the appropriate service provider without your management.
- Delegated Administration - Create independent Delegated Administration Units for service providers, channels, and partners on the same Axeda Platform instance. Delegated Administrators can independently manage users, user groups, and asset groups within their unit. Assets can be added to units based on Dynamic Grouping.
- Dynamic Grouping - Automatically assign assets to asset groups. Define asset group hierarchies and use asset properties to dynamically populate group hierarchies with assets. Used with the Delegated Administration feature, you can automatically assign assets to the right service provider without the overhead of manual management.
Track mobile assets. New Location-Based Services provide for handling of location information, including geofences, rules, and geocoding.
- Remote location tracking - Track assets using latitude/longitude information from GPS or other location data sources.
- Historical location analysis - Track an asset over time using breadcrumbs and query for the locations at a specific time in the past.
- Geofences – Use geofences―point/radius and polygon shapes―to represent areas on a map for location-based rules.
- Geocoding and reverse geocoding - Given an address, return the latitude/longitude coordinate, and given that coordinate, return the nearest address.
- Full integration of location in rules and scripting - Expression Rules can be built using location and geofences with any other asset data.
Automate software update tasks. Take advantage of improved software management capabilities in Axeda Agents and in the Axeda Platform.
- Agent-driven software package deployments - Similar to Microsoft Windows update functionality, Axeda Agents can now automatically or manually search for, download, and execute software packages created with the Axeda Software Management application.
- Automatic software updates - Ensure background tasks continuously resolve for assets that meet the dependency criteria and automatically deploy to those assets. Receive an up-to-date status for each deployment, including Finished, Failed, or Timed Out. Review the history of all automatic deployments and have deployments pushed to the next set of assets as deployments are completed for one group of assets.
Increase end-user deployments and experience improved usability. Configure Axeda Agents for greater adoption and take advantage of added localization and system support.
- FIPS Object Module - Axeda Agents can now be configured to run in FIPS mode SSL, enabling increased adoption in highly secure environments, such as government and military end-user locations.
- Spanish Localization and Added OS and Browser Support – The Axeda UI and Help have been localized in Spanish for broader language support. This release also supports the latest versions of Microsoft’s OS (Windows 7 and Windows 2008 for the Axeda Agent) and browser (Internet Explorer 8).
- Increase end-user deployments and experience improved usability. Axeda Agents can now be configured to run in FIPS mode SSL, enabling increased adoption in highly secure environments, such as government and military end-user locations.