Applied Biosystems (NYSE: ABI) is a $2B provider of DNA analyzers to the world's top researchers including the Human Genome Project, develops and markets instrument-based systems, reagents, software, and contract services to the life science industry and research community.
Axeda software enables Applied Biosystems' Smart Monitoring Service (formerly BioMonitor), a proactive remote monitoring service. The company uses Smart Services to remotely access operational parameters in their ABI PRISM® 3730/3730xl DNA Analyzers and their MDS Sciex Mass Spectrometers to perform diagnostics, preventive maintenance, failure prediction, and proactive notification.
30% increase in instrument utilization
33% reduction in onsite visits (unscheduled visits nearly eliminated)
98.9% customer uptime
- Customer Video: Applied Biosystems Remotely Monitors Instruments to Ensure Maximum Uptime with Axeda
- Aberdeen Group Recognizes Applied BioSystems and Axeda Systems for Best Practices in Strategic Service Management
- Smart Monitoring Service (PDF)
- Applied Biosystems Case Study
- Applied Biosystems Expands Its Award-Winning Real-Time Remote Instrument Diagnostics Monitoring Service to Support Applied Biosystems/MDS Sciex Mass Spectrometers
"Axeda's customer care team has enabled Applied Biosystems engineers to accelerate the deployment of Axeda software in our line of DNA analyzers and genetic analyzers, giving our service team the immediate advantage of Axeda’s secure remote diagnosis technology. Data accuracy is the top priority of our DNA analyzer customers. Axeda software proactively detects problems that can cause degradation of the quality of analysis. Previously, these problems would not be detected until the run was complete, causing the loss of valuable samples."
- Michael G. Schneider, VP of Worldwide Service, Applied Biosystems
"With over 75 instruments connected to BioMonitor I have special access and can also monitor the instruments myself, and I particularly like that I can see what an instrument is doing from wherever I am, even if I’m at a conference abroad.”
Chris Clee, Sequencing Facility Manager, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Cambridge, UK