Company promotes cause with sophisticated track-and-trace application built on its M2M cloud platform
Foxboro, MA - Axeda Corporation is using its award-winning M2M technology to support one of its own employees this weekend as she cycles to raise money for cancer research. Leslie Baker, the inspiration for the “Where is Leslie?” application is an Axeda technical support engineer who will ride in honor of her late father.
“When my colleagues heard about my participation in Pan-Mass they started brainstorming about the different ways that they could lend support to the cause,” said Baker. “Out of those sessions came an idea to use our technology to draw attention to the ride.”
A Flash application integrated with the Axeda® Platform, the Where is Leslie? application tracks Leslie along the 192-mile route across Massachusetts. An Axeda developer built the application in less than a week using the Axeda Platform’s advanced rules engine, geofence capabilities, and Axeda Custom Objects.
Using an Enfora Mini MT edge device with a Wyless SIM card, the application sends latitude-longitude data to the Axeda Platform, leveraging its location-based services to determine Leslie’s exact location at any point during the ride.
The application, available from the Axeda Developer Connection site also:
- Integrates with Twitter using Axeda Expression Rules to send tweets as Leslie reaches pre-defined milestones by traveling outside of a set geofence.
- Displays local weather on the course by leveraging Yahoo Web Services to pull weather data based on zip code.
- Tracks Leslie's fundraising goal, encouraging visitors to donate!
“The Where is Leslie? app literally went from concept to reality in a matter of days,” said Dale Calder, president and CEO, Axeda Corporation. “This campaign reflects the innovative spirit of our employees as well as the power of our technology and partner ecosystem. We are very excited to support one of our team members in this important fundraising event.”
To raise awareness for the Pan-Mass Challenge, Axeda is also giving away a choice of four Boston Red Sox tickets or an iPad to the person who guesses (or comes closest) to Leslie’s destination time.
To enter to win:
- Visit the Axeda Developer Connection
- Access the Where is Leslie? tracking application
- Submit your estimated time via Twitter (@WhereIsLeslie), Facebook, (Axeda Corporation), or LinkedIn (Axeda Connected Products Community) before 10:00 a.m. U.S. EDT on Sunday, August 8th and make sure to include your name and email address in your guess!
Axeda Corporation is connecting the world’s products. Its cloud platform and applications enable manufacturers, solution providers, and system integrators to rapidly connect, build, and manage powerful machine to machine (M2M) applications for connected products that drive new business models and revenue opportunities. More than 150 of the world’s leading enterprises, including Agilent, Diebold, and EMC, rely on Axeda’s VeriSign® Security certified solutions today. Join our developer community at: http://developer.axeda.com and learn more at www.axeda.com.